22 February 2008

Still here, just under the radar

I know, I've been AWOL this week. The main reason has been sleep disruption due to noisy neighbors. I have finally made a detailed complaint to the management, who came down on the miscreants like the proverbial ton of bricks (apparently people in two other apartments had complained as well). Things have quietened down, but it will take a while to get back onto my normal schedule.

As for politics, it's frankly becoming too depressing to write about much, especially since Wisconsin. Looking back at my earlier posting on how the Democrats might lose the general election, it seems that the party is now at very high risk of making error #4. There are still factors which could turn things around: yesterday's debate, Texas and Ohio, the superdelegates, Florida and Michigan (which I don't believe the party will dare snub, in the end), and so on. But there aren't many positive signs out there at the moment.

It's not that I'm feeling gloomy -- not at all. Lately I've had great cause for happiness, and for looking forward to the days ahead. But I generally don't write about personal things here.

In the meantime, here are a few more links:

An otherworldly ice landscape from Estonia.

A 21st-century man who thinks the Earth is flat -- and the Sun is too, for good measure (found via Blurber).

The world's scariest fish -- coming soon to a river near you!

A bizarre religious attack on marriage in Pennsylvania (found via FranIAm).

Why the Democratic race isn't over yet.

John Derbyshire's prediction on the nominee.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some interesting links here. That fish is godawful fugly! YUCK! I don't plan to swim in the waters around Indonesia any time soon.

22 February, 2008 15:06  
Blogger Fran said...

Thanks for the linkage my friend!

And that fish- holy crap!

As for the political race- I am lost between outrage and indifference.

Today indifference is winning.

I hate feeling this way!

22 February, 2008 19:43  
Blogger Rita said...

Oh my God! The ice pictures are awesome!

I don't know what is the matter with you people, I'm optimistic. The political climate is posed for a big change.

Don't get stuck in the doldrums...

23 February, 2008 10:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really hoping for the big change Handmaiden mentioned. A big, *positive* change. The ice pictures are beautiful. I've never seen anything like that. The spiral staircase- oh, how pretty.

If Frankenfish had boarded my boat on a line, I'd have jumped out the other side. Could you imagine a fish like that, still able to attack out of the water? Eek! Hopefully the one who dumped it from his aquarium only dumped one. At least this devil frog was where it was supposed to be, with the dinosaurs.

It's good to "hear" things are going well for you, and I hope you've caught up on sleep.

26 February, 2008 22:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home